The Globe and Mail reports in its Wednesday edition that Sherritt International has been forced to scale back operations at its Moa nickel mine in Cuba in response to the oil blockade imposed by the United States last month. The Globe's Jason Kirby writes that Sherritt said in a statement it expects to completely halt mining operations in the country and put its processing plant there on standby within the next week because of a lack of fuel. The decision could in turn impact operations at the company's refinery in Fort Saskatchewan, Alta., which relies on material imported from Cuba to produce finished nickel and cobalt. The company said it has enough inventory to maintain production at the Fort Saskatchewan refinery until mid-April. According to a 2022 sustainability scorecard published by the company, Sherritt employed 816 in Canada, though the report didn't break that down by location and subsequent scorecards provided no country-level employment numbers. In January, the Trump administration imposed a ban on oil shipments to Cuba from Venezuela after the United States deposed the country's President, Nicolás Maduro. U.S. President Donald Trump also threatened to impose tariffs on any country that sells oil to Cuba.
© 2026 Canjex Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.