The Financial Post reports in its Saturday, Feb. 14, edition that Stellantis sold its interest in Canada's first battery gigafactory in Windsor for just $100, having overestimated electric vehicle adoption, according to Trevor Longley, head of its Canadian division. The Post's Gabriel Friedman writes that Mr. Longley says, "We were way off on that." He notes that automakers are adjusting their infrastructure to match the current demand cycle, which has changed from earlier predictions.
He says EVs make up a small percentage of Stellantis' sales in Canada. He describes it as a single-digit number. However, he says the company believes "electrification is the future" and predicts that EVs could dominate new vehicle sales by the 2040s.
Last week, Stellantis said it is taking a $26-billion writedown on its EV investments and cancelling production of many models, which followed other automakers that took similar writedowns on EVs.
It sold its 49 per cent interest in a battery factory in Windsor for $100 to its joint-venture partner, South Korea-based LG Energy Solution. The factory cost an estimated $5-billion-plus to construct, although Korean securities filings pegged Stellantis's contribution at $980-million.
© 2026 Canjex Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.