The Globe and Mail reports in its Thursday edition that Canadian cinemas are losing the rights to screen fan favourites such as Die Hard and Home Alone after the 20th Century Fox back-catalogue was swallowed up by The Walt Disney Co.
A Canadian Press dispatch to The Globe reports that independent film houses have been worried about losing access to the archives ever since Disney took over Fox's entertainment assets earlier this year, said Revue Cinema programming director Eric Veillette.
"This is something that a lot of exhibitors have been fearing for some time, because Disney has had a long-standing practice of not allowing any of its archival catalogue to be screened theatrically."
Now, Mr. Veillette says a Disney representative has confirmed to the cinema that it will no longer be able to book repertory films from Fox.
The change will also affect Cineplex, which shows a variety of older movies through its repertory film series, spokesman Sarah Van Lange said.
She said Cineplex has several Fox films scheduled for later this year including Fight Club and Alien, but that going forward they will not be able to book films from the studio's archives.
Disney acquired Fox for $71.3-billion (U.S.) in March.
© 2020 Canjex Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.