Mr. Irwin Simon reports
TILRAY, INC. REPORTS FIRST QUARTER FISCAL YEAR 2022 FINANCIAL RESULTS
Tilray Inc. has released financial results for the first fiscal quarter ended Aug. 31, 2021. All financial information in this press release is reported in U.S. dollars, unless otherwise indicated, and presented in accordance with accounting principles generally accepted in the U.S. (GAAP).
Irwin D. Simon, Tilray's chairman and chief executive officer, stated: "Tilray's first quarter 2022 results affirm that, amid the paradigm shift towards global cannabis legalization, we are unquestionably executing against two key objectives. The first is maximizing near-term profitability through leadership in both higher-margin international medical markets and in Canada, complemented by incremental growth at SweetWater and Manitoba Harvest in the U.S. These efforts are augmented by the cost benefits of our increased scale that we are realizing through our integration process. The tangible results include our 10th consecutive quarter of positive adjusted EBITDA and meaningful net revenue growth despite continued impacts from COVID-19 in Canada as retail cannabis stores only began opening in mid-June."
Mr. Simon continued: "The second objective is to fully realize the promise and potential of Tilray by capitalizing on the nearly $200-billion global cannabis market opportunity. We believe we are ideally positioned to succeed due to our global consumer packaged goods expertise and scale, our diverse portfolio of brands, our reputation as a trusted supplier of high-quality cannabis, battle-tested leadership and a relentless focus on driving sustainable shareholder value. We look forward to accelerating our momentum as we build the leading CPG business in the global cannabis industry."
Financial highlights -- first quarter fiscal 2022:
Net revenue increased 43 per cent to $168-million during the first quarter from $117-million in the prior-year quarter. The increase was driven by 38-per-cent growth in net cannabis revenue to $70-million, net beverage alcohol revenue of $15-million following the SweetWater acquisition on Nov. 25, 2020, and wellness revenue of $15-million from Manitoba Harvest.
The company maintained its No. 1 market share in Canada with a leading portfolio of comprehensive medical cannabis and adult-use brands, including top position in cannabis flower and prerolls; five Tilray brands rank in top five brands across all adult-use product categories.
- The company is the international market leader and No. 1 in Germany with medical cannabis extracts.
- The company had a net loss of $34.6-million during the first quarter compared with a net loss of $21.7-million in the prior-year quarter.
Adjusted EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) was $12.7-million in the first quarter of 2022, 58-per-cent growth compared with the prior-year quarter, and the 10th consecutive quarter of positive adjusted EBITDA. If adjusted EBITDA was normalized for Aphria's production costs, metric would have been closer to $17-million.
- Gross profit increased 46 per cent to $51-million from $35-million in the prior-year quarter.
- Adjusted gross margin in the cannabis segment has remained strong at 43 per cent.
- Cost saving synergies of $55-million were achieved on a run-rate basis to date, with actual cash savings close to $20-million. The company is on track for at least $80-million in cost savings from Aphria and Tilray business combination synergies.
Strong first quarter momentum across segments:
On Aug. 19, 2021, Tilray completed the acquisition of amended convertible notes in Medmen, a premier retailer in the $80-billion U.S. cannabis market -- a potentially transformative step toward Tilray's objective of leading the U.S. market when legalization allows.
- On Aug. 17, 2021, Tilray launched medical cannabis edibles in Canada.
On July 19, 2021, Tilray's wholly owned subsidiary, SweetWater Brewing Company, announced the launch of 420 Imperial IPA, the first line extension of its flagship 420 brand.
- On July 12, 2021, SweetWater announced its West Coast expansion including a new Colorado brewery and the opening of SweetWater Mountain Taphouse at Denver International Airport.
On July 7, 2021, Tilray announced the completion and shipment of the first successful EU (European Union) GMP-certified (good manufacturing practices) medical cannabis harvest grown in Germany for German distribution.
- On June 30, 2021, Tilray announced the launch of Broken Coast B.C. Lager -- the first cross-brand product collaboration between Canadian craft cannabis brand Broken Coast and SweetWater.
On June 29, 2021, Tilray launched a new medical cannabis brand in Canada, Symbios, the inaugural brand developed to offer patients a broader spectrum of medical cannabis formats and cannabinoid ratios at a better price point.
On June 25, 2021, Tilray's leading Canadian cannabis brand, Riff, launched new multipack of cannabis prerolls.
Continuing global growth and opportunity
The confluence of global cannabis legalization and the global economy's emergence from COVID-19 lockdowns signal a period of enormous potential for Tilray -- a leading cannabis company with the scale, reach and organic growth and M&A (mergers and acquisitions) firepower to take full advantage of the massive global opportunity in cannabis. The company's business planning and integration are built around four key competitive differentiators:
The industry's broadest geographic footprint and operational scale: Tilray's unparalleled and growing presence positions the company to lead the global cannabis market including Europe, Latin America and Asia. As the largest cannabis cultivator in the world, Tilray remains to be one of the few companies with the capabilities to consistently supply high-quality cannabis to the global cannabis market.
Leading market share in Canada, with a comprehensive portfolio of product offerings and carefully curated brands: Tilray plans to continue growing and strengthening its position as the No. 1 Canadian LP (licensed producer) in total sales on a consolidated basis and to leverage its position, brands and new product innovation to expand its current cannabis retail market share in Canada of approximately 16 per cent to its goal of 30-per-cent share by the end of fiscal year 2024.
- Tremendous international growth opportunities from a strong base: The European Union, which has nearly twice the population of the United States and where Tilray already has a very meaningful presence, represents a powerful growth market and could potentially be a $1-billion business for the company. With its operational and regulatory strengths, Tilray continues to unlock new opportunities across global geographies at a faster pace than competitors based on leadership, partnerships and operational scale.
- A leading U.S. CPG platform to be immediately leveraged for cannabis products upon federal legalization: In the U.S., Tilray has a strong consumer packaged goods presence and infrastructure with two strategic pillars: SweetWater, the 11th largest craft brewer in the nation and leading lifestyle brand, and Manitoba Harvest, a pioneer in hemp, CBD (cannabidiol) and wellness products, with access to 17,000 stores in North America. Further, the investment the company announced in August in the outstanding senior secured convertible notes of Medmen Enterprises is a critical step toward delivering on its objective of leading the U.S. cannabis market upon federal legalization.
Tilray will host a conference call to discuss these results today at 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time. Investors interested in participating in the live call can dial 877-407-0792 from Canada and the U.S. or 201-689-8263 from international locations.
There will also be a simultaneous, live webcast available on the investors section of the company's website. The webcast will be archived after the conference call.
About Tilray Inc.
Tilray is a leading global cannabis lifestyle and consumer packaged goods company with operations in Canada, the United States, Europe, Australia and Latin America. Tilray is changing the lives of people for the better -- one person at a time -- by providing products that meet the needs of mind, body and soul, and invoke a sense of well-being. Tilray's mission is to be the trusted partner for its patients and consumers by providing them with a cultivated experience and health/well-being through high-quality, differentiated brands and innovative products. A pioneer in cannabis research, cultivation and distribution, Tilray's unprecedented production platform supports greater than 20 brands in greater than 20 countries, including: comprehensive cannabis offerings, hemp-based foods and alcoholic beverages.
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF NET (LOSS) AND COMPREHENSIVE (LOSS)
(in thousands of dollars)
Three months ended Aug. 31 Three months ended May 31
2021 2020 2021
Net revenue $168,023 $117,490 $142,236
Cost of goods sold 117,068 82,545 119,738
Gross profit 50,955 34,945 22,498
General and administrative 49,487 25,972 32,847
Selling 7,432 5,817 8,525
Amortization 30,739 4,127 16,100
Marketing and promotion 5,465 4,925 5,103
Research and development 785 120 358
Transaction costs 25,579 2,458 33,260
Total operating expenses 119,487 43,419 96,193
Operating (loss) (68,532) (8,474) (73,695)
Finance (expense), net (10,170) (5,736) (9,466)
Non-operating income (expense), net 48,860 (13,359) 121,510
(Loss) before income taxes (29,842) (27,569) 38,349
Income taxes (recovery) 4,762 (5,825) 4,744
Net (loss) (34,604) (21,744) 33,605
(Loss) per share -- basic (0.08) (0.09) 0.18
(Loss) per share -- diluted (0.08) (0.09) 0.18
We seek Safe Harbor.
© 2023 Canjex Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.