The Globe and Mail reports in its Wednesday, July 10, edition that Alberta Premier Jason Kenney is taking aim against those allegedly intent on destroying his province's energy sector.
The Globe's Gary Mason writes that
in one of his first acts as Premier, Mr. Kenney announced the creation of a $30-million "war room" to counter "misinformation" being spread by environmental organizations. Last week Mr. Kenney announced a public inquiry into what he claimed was a "premeditated, internationally planned and financed operation to put Alberta energy out of business."
The inquiry, which will be headed up by Steve Allan, will report back in a year. Mr. Mason says we already know what the inquiry is likely to uncover and conclude. The inquiry cannot compel witnesses from outside the province to testify. The spectacle of inquiry lawyers cross-examining Canadians who happen to oppose the oil sands because of their concerns about climate change has the potential to backfire spectacularly, notes Mr. Mason.
It might play well in Alberta, but outside the province it would look dreadful.
Mr. Mason says this entire public-relations exercise is "ridiculous" because it is a fight against imaginary enemies.
© 2019 Canjex Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.