The Globe and Mail reports in its Friday, March 22, edition that eight seniors on Tuesday were sent to a local hospital near Parry Sound, Ont., where doctors discovered they were intoxicated on weed-laced chocolate brownies. The Globe's Molly Hayes writes that James McNurdo has been involved with the catering of these lunches for years. On this particular occasion, he had had to delegate food preparation to someone else. He said: "I'm as mortified as anybody. We've got to get to the bottom of this."
A police investigation is ongoing. Mr. McNurdo did not want to give the name of the person he was working with.
The food was prepared at the hall, and people were in and out of the kitchen that day, "so we're not certain that the caterer had anything to do with it," West Parry Sound OPP Constable Miles Loach said. In fact, they offered to provide police with a sample of the leftover brownies.
"The caterer has been very co-operative," Constable Loach said. "So I tend to believe that she had nothing to do with it."
The lunch was also served buffet-style, Mr. McNurdo pointed out -- meaning that any number of people could have hypothetically drizzled cannabis oil onto the brownies if it was not cooked into them.
© 2019 Canjex Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.