The Financial Post reports in its Tuesday, Feb. 26, edition that a former black market cannabis dealer who owns a coffee shop in downtown Toronto is suing the Ontario government for $1.1-million in damages. The Post's Vanmala Subramaniam writes that a statement of claim filed by Cannabis & Coffee against the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario and the Attorney General's Office, states that the coffee shop had been "structuring its operations and incurring expenses" for the past year in anticipation of obtaining a retail license that would enable the owner to open a weed store.
Cannabis & Coffee owner Chris James said: "We were told something by the Ford government, and then there was this complete 180-degree turn from qualified applicants to random applicants. It was kind of ridiculous."
The Ford government announced a repeal of the provincial-run retail system for cannabis proposed by the previous Liberal government, and instead proposed that any private operator would be eligible to apply for a licence to open a cannabis store.
Months later the province reversed course and imposed a limit of 25 licences, which would be handed out through a randomized lottery system.
© 2019 Canjex Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.