CHARLOTTE, N.C., Jan. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Cogdell Spencer Inc. (NYSE: CSA) announced today the tax characteristics of its 2011 dividends. We are releasing this information to assist those required to distribute Form 1099s on the Company's dividend. This release is based on an estimate of "earnings and profits" as defined by the Internal Revenue Service. No material change in these classifications is expected.
(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110623/CL24711LOGO )
During 2011, the Company paid four quarterly dividends of $0.10 per share, totaling $0.40 per share for the year. The dividends of $0.40 per share are classified for income tax purposes as 45.0% taxable ordinary dividend, 5.0% capital gain (2.5% long term capital gain and 2.5% unrecaptured Section 1250 gain) and 50.0% return of capital. Shareholders generally benefit from the return of capital by deferring income taxes on that portion of the distribution until a share is sold or otherwise transferred. No portion of the dividends constitutes "qualified dividends" eligible for the reduced rates on dividends. The Company urges its stockholders to consult with their own tax advisors with respect to the federal, state and local income tax consequences of these dividends.
About Cogdell Spencer Inc.
Charlotte-based Cogdell Spencer Inc. (NYSE:CSA), healthcare's preferred real estate partner, is a real estate investment trust ("REIT") focused on planning, owning, developing, constructing, and managing medical facilities. Through strategically managed, customized facilities, we help our clients deliver superior healthcare. Learn more about Cogdell Spencer Inc. and its subsidiaries at www.cogdell.com.
Certain statements contained in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. Forward-looking statements relate to future events or our future financial performance. We generally identify forward-looking statements by terminology such as "may," "will," "could," "would," "believes," "anticipate," "intend," "projects," "should," "estimates," "expects" and other similar words or phrases.
Any forward-looking statements are based upon our historical performance and on our current plans, estimates and expectations. The inclusion of this forward-looking information should not be regarded as a representation by us that the future plans, estimates or expectations will be achieved. Such forward-looking statements are subject to various risks, uncertainties, assumptions and other important factors that could cause our actual results, performance or achievements, or industry results, to differ materially from any predictions of future results, performance or achievements that we express or imply in this release. Some of the risks, uncertainties and other important factors that may affect future results include, among others:
- changes in general economic and business conditions;
- our ability to execute our business strategy;
- our ability to comply with financial covenants in our debt instruments;
- our ability to raise capital on terms that are favorable to us;
- our ability to obtain future financing arrangements, including refinancing existing arrangements, on terms that are favorable to us;
- estimates relating to our future distributions;
- increased competition for tenants and new properties;
- our ability to renew our ground leases;
- legislative and regulatory changes (including changes to laws governing the taxation of REITs and individuals);
- increases in costs of borrowing as a result of changes in interest rates;
- our ability to maintain our qualification as a REIT due to economic, market, legal, or tax considerations;
- changes in the reimbursement available to our tenants by government or private payors;
- our tenants' ability to make rent payments;
- defaults by tenants and customers;
- access to financing by customers;
- delays in project starts and cancellations by customers;
- our ability to convert design-build project opportunities into new engagements for us;
- market trends; and
- projected capital expenditures.
We undertake no obligation to update any forward-looking statement to reflect events or circumstances after the date on which the statement is made or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events. Investors are cautioned not to place undue reliance on any of these forward-looking statements.
SOURCE Cogdell Spencer Inc.