- Outlook of +19% Driven by Optimism in Construction, Manufacturing and Transportation & Utilities
- Employers in the Midwest Report Strongest Hiring Outlook Since 2001
MILWAUKEE, Dec. 12, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- U.S. employers report the strongest hiring intentions in 10 years as employers across the country look to add staff in the first quarter of 2018, according to the latest ManpowerGroup Employment Outlook Survey.
Hiring momentum continues to strengthen, according to the more than 11,500 U.S. employers surveyed. The seasonally adjusted Net Employment Outlook* for Q1 2018 is +19%. Job prospects in the Transportation & Utilities sector nationwide are the strongest reported since the survey started in the first quarter of 1982, while employers in Construction and the Durable Goods Manufacturing sectors forecast the strongest Outlooks in more than a decade.
Nationwide, employers in all 13 industry sectors expect to add staff in Q1 2018. The top Outlooks by industry are: Leisure & Hospitality (+28%), Transportation & Utilities (+26%), Professional & Business Services (+23%), Wholesale & Retail Trade (+23%), Durable Goods Manufacturing (+19%) and Construction (+18%).
"We're seeing a renaissance in industries like construction and manufacturing in the U.S.," said Becky Frankiewicz, president of ManpowerGroup North America. "These are not the jobs of the past - many are highly skilled roles that will build America's future. Strong hiring intentions tell us employers have positions to fill, yet we know they're struggling to find people with the right skills to fill them. Technological disruption will touch all industries sooner or later. It's time for us to embrace this change and do more to invest in American workers. That's what we're doing at ManpowerGroup - from our ground-breaking partnership upskilling veterans for digital manufacturing roles with Rockwell Automation to our nation-wide MyPath program that provides tools for people to accelerate their careers. We're upskilling people today to prepare the workforce of tomorrow."
This marks the 14th consecutive quarter with an Outlook of +15% or stronger. Nationwide hiring prospects are slightly stronger from last quarter and when compared to one year ago.
View complete Q1 2018 survey results for the U.S: www.manpowergroup.us/meos.
(one year ago)
U.S. Hiring Plans by Regions, Industry Sectors and Metro Areas/States
- Nationwide, employers in all 13 industry sectors expect to add staff in Q1 2018. By industry, the Outlooks are: Leisure & Hospitality (+28%), Transportation & Utilities (+26%), Professional & Business Services (+23%), Wholesale & Retail Trade (+23%), Durable Goods Manufacturing (+19%), Construction (+18%), Education & Health Services (+14%), Financial Activities (+14%), Information (+14%), Mining (+14%), Government (+13%), Nondurable Goods Manufacturing (+13%), Other Services (+13%).
- Employers in all four regions in the U.S. have a positive outlook for their Q1 2018 hiring plans. When compared with the previous quarter, the Net Employment Outlook increased by 2 percentage points. In the Midwest, the Outlook is the strongest reported since the beginning of 2001. Hiring prospects remain stable in the other three regions.
- For the coming quarter, employers in Georgia, Florida, Hawaii and Utah report the strongest Net Employment Outlooks. Of the 100 largest metropolitan statistical areas, the strongest job prospects are expected in Cape Coral, Fla.; Ogden, Utah; Chattanooga, TN; Los Angeles, CA; Phoenix, AZ; and Charlotte, N.C.
Complete results for the ManpowerGroup Employment Outlook Survey are available for download at www.manpowergroup.us/meos. The Q2 2018 survey will be released March 13, 2018. To receive email notifications when the survey is available each quarter, visit http://meos-press.manpowergroup.us.
*The Net Employment Outlook is derived by taking the percentage of employers anticipating an increase in hiring activity and subtracting from this the percentage of employers expecting a decrease in hiring activity.
ManpowerGroup (NYSE: MAN), the leading global workforce solutions company, helps organizations transform in a fast-changing world of work by sourcing, assessing, developing and managing the talent that enables them to win. We develop innovative solutions for over 400,000 clients and connect 3+ million people to meaningful, sustainable work across a wide range of industries and skills. Our expert family of brands – Manpower®, Experis®, Right Management® and ManpowerGroup® Solutions – creates substantially more value for candidates and clients across 80 countries and territories and has done so for nearly 70 years. In 2017, ManpowerGroup was named one of the World's Most Ethical Companies for the seventh consecutive year and one of Fortune's Most Admired Companies, confirming our position as the most trusted and admired brand in the industry. See how ManpowerGroup is powering the future of work: www.manpowergroup.com