Fomento Económico Mexicano, S.A.B. de C.V. ("FEMSA") (NYSE: FMX) (BMV: FEMSAUBD) (BMV: FEMSAUB) announced today its operational and financial results for the fourth quarter and full year 2012 under International Financial Reporting Standards ("IFRS").
Fourth Quarter 2012 Highlights:
- FEMSA consolidated total revenues and income from operations grew 11.8% and 24.9%, respectively, compared to the fourth quarter of 2011. On an organic basis total revenues and income from operations grew 9.0% and 22.4%, respectively.
- Coca-Cola FEMSA total revenues and income from operations increased 10.4% and 29.5%, respectively, compared to the fourth quarter of 2011. On an organic basis total revenues and income from operations grew 6.0% and 26.0%, respectively.
- FEMSA Comercio achieved total revenues growth of 15.6% and income from operations growth of 17.0% compared to 2011, driven by new store openings and 7.5% growth in same-store sales.
2012 Full Year Highlights:
- FEMSA consolidated total revenues and income from operations grew 18.2% and 19.4%, respectively, compared to 2011 driven by Coca-Cola FEMSA and FEMSA Comercio. On an organic basis total revenues and income from operations grew 13.2% and 14.8%, respectively.
- Coca-Cola FEMSA total revenues and income from operations increased 19.9% and 19.4%, driven by double-digit growth in both of its operating divisions, including the integration of Grupo Tampico, Grupo CIMSA and Grupo Fomento Queretano in Mexico. On an organic basis total revenues and income from operations grew 11.6% and 13.3%, respectively.
- FEMSA Comercio continued its pace of strong floor space growth by opening 1,040 net new stores in 2012. Same-store sales rose 7.7% and income from operations increased 22.7% compared to 2011.
- Ordinary dividend of Ps. 6.684 billion proposed by FEMSA's Board of Directors, to be paid in 2013 subject to approval at the annual shareholders meeting in March 2013, representing an increase of 7.8% over the dividend paid in the prior year and 45.3% over the dividend paid in 2011.
José Antonio Fernández Carbajal, Chairman and CEO of FEMSA, commented: "2012 was an eventful year for FEMSA. There were a couple of "firsts" that we should talk about: For the first time, Coca-Cola FEMSA is venturing beyond Latin America through the acquisition of a 51% interest in the Coca-Cola bottling operations in the Philippines. And for the first time, FEMSA Comercio entered the drugstore business through the acquisition of a controlling stake in Farmacias Yza in the Southeast of Mexico. These are transactions that fit well into our long-term strategy, and they are enabled by the skills and capabilities that our operators have developed in our core businesses over many years. These are exciting opportunities that we are very keen to pursue.
There were other important news in 2012 that marked a continuation of trends. The transaction with Grupo Yoli in the Mexican state of Guerrero came on the heels of the previous three transactions with Grupo Tampico, CIMSA and Foque. The Coca-Cola System's acquisition of Santa Clara as an entry into the high-value-added dairy industry in Mexico was a logical next step once we gained some experience in the dairy industry with Estrella Azul in Panama. And at FEMSA Comercio, reaching and surpassing the milestone of 10,000 stores in Mexico was a remarkable achievement. So again, we are executing on the long term strategy, taking focused and consistent steps.
But none of this would be possible or reasonable if it were not for the fact that our core operations, across our markets, continue to grow and perform in very solid fashion driven by our outstanding team. In 2012 our consolidated revenues and income from operations increased by double digits even before considering any acquisitions, and our operating margin was stable in spite of a tough raw material environment at Coca-Cola FEMSA during the first half of the year.
As you can tell, we are excited and optimistic about the year that begins and about the future of our company, even in the face of the many challenges that are always ahead. We hope you come along for the journey."
To obtain the full text of this earnings release, please visit our Investor Relations website at
www.femsa.com/investorunder the Financial Reports section.
This report may contain certain forward-looking statements concerning our future performance that should be considered as good faith estimates made by us. These forward-looking statements reflect management's expectations and are based upon currently available data. Actual results are subject to future events and uncertainties, which could materially impact our actual performance.
FEMSA is a leading company that participates in the beverage industry through Coca-Cola FEMSA, the largest bottler of Coca-Cola products in the world; in the retail industry through FEMSA Comercio, operating OXXO, the largest and fastest-growing chain of stores in Latin America, and in the beer industry, through its ownership of the second largest equity stake in Heineken, one of the world's leading brewers with operations in over 70 countries.
© 2017 Canjex Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.